Statistical Consulting Services and Policies
The UCLA Statistical Consulting Group offers many services to UCLA
researchers. All of our services are provided free of charge. Our
services are listed below, along with details regarding the service.
Please note that we do not offer telephone consulting (that is to say, we do not
answer statistical consulting questions over the phone).
The goal of the UCLA Statistical Consulting Group is to help UCLA faculty,
staff, and graduate students perform top-notch research, with the greatest
emphasis on data analysis related to grants and publications, but also including
dissertation research. We provide advice and resources to enable you to
develop and/or extend your statistical computing skills, helping you to
independently use common statistical packages for the analysis of research data.
Please visit our services FAQ page for more
information and examples of the services that we offer.
- Location: We are located in the DCP/Stat Lab, 4919 Math Sciences (see
- Days and times: Walk-in statistical consulting is offered
Monday through Thursday, 1-4 p.m. (see detailed consulting schedule below).
Appointments: We do not make appointments. UCLA researchers
are welcome to come to our walk-in consulting.
- What our walk-in service includes: Please see our
Statistical Consulting Services page for a description of the services
offered in walk-in consulting. Please note that we cannot provide
assistance to undergraduate students or graduate students who are working on
homework, papers or projects for a class.
- Walk-in consulting for graduate students: We respectfully
request that graduate students limit themselves to two visits to walk-in
consulting per week (a total of six hours of assistance per week).
- Wait time: Sometimes researchers must wait for a consultant to
become available. We regret having to ask clients to wait, but we try
to give all clients the time necessary to completely answer the questions
that have brought them to consulting.
You can follow us on Twitter (http://twitter.com/atsstat/)
for updates on the number of clients currently waiting in line.
- Data security: We strongly encourage our clients to take
necessary steps to ensure the privacy of their subjects. This includes
following all relevant UCLA OPRS
and/or IRB rules and regulations regarding the redaction of personal or
sensitive data from working data sets. In many cases, we will not be
able to assist a researcher who has personal or sensitive information about
their subjects in their data file. We also ask that researchers do not
leave any data files on the computers in the consulting office, and that flash drives
are not left behind.
- Data sets/syntax: Most of the time, it is easier for consultants to
identify problems or issues if a client brings sample data sets and/or
You can save your sample data sets/syntax files to a flash drive that you
bring with you, or you can bring your laptop. Consultants are not
responsible for saving copies of your data or syntax files.
- Detailed consulting schedule (Summer quarter,
June 15 through September 11, 2015)
NOTE: At least three consultants will be available for all
- Consulting will be closed on Thursday, July 30.
- Consulting will be closed on Monday, September 7 for the Memorial Day holiday.
- Affiliation: Email consulting is only available to members of the
UCLA research community: Faculty, staff researchers and graduate students.
If you are a member of the UCLA research community, but are sending your
question from a non-UCLA email account (e.g., hotmail, gmail, etc.), please be sure to indicate your affiliation with UCLA
in your email. We regret that we are not able to assist researchers
who are not currently affiliated with UCLA, including UCLA alumni.
- Email address: You may send your email question to
. We request that questions not be sent to individual consultants.
- Response time: Emails questions are usually answered within
2-3 business days. We will make our best effort to respond within 2-3 business days,
however, due to the high volume of email questions it may take us longer to reply.
- Stat package: Please indicate which statistical package you are using (e.g., SAS,
Stata, SPSS, etc.). It is also often helpful if you include the
version of the software and the platform on which you are running the
software (e.g., Windows, Mac, etc.).
- Information to include:
If you are having difficulty with a certain task, especially a data
management task, please be sure to include in your email:
- a clear description of the task that you are trying to accomplish
- the code that you used to accomplish this task
- the error message issued or the reason you believe the task was not
- Files to include: If it helps explain your question
or questions, you can include your data file, program file and/or output file.
- If you send an output file, please also include the syntax that
generated the output (you can include that in the body of the email or as a
- If you send a data file, please include only the relevant variables.
- Sample email questions:
- In my model, the interaction of a categorical variable and a
continuous variable is statistically significant. I would like to graph this two-way
interaction in SPSS. Could you tell me how to graph it in SPSS?
- I am using proc gplot in SAS. If I want to label my points, how do I
go about it?
- I am running the mixed command in Stata. How do I calculate the intraclass
correlation based on the output of the model?
- When to come to walk-in consulting: If you find yourself
spending a long time writing an email question or if you think it will take
a long time to explain your situation/question, it usually means that your
question is too complicated for email consulting, and it might be time to
make a visit to our walk-in consulting. Please note that we cannot
provide assistance to undergraduate students or graduate students who are
working on homework, papers or projects for a class.
Workshops and classes
- We have more than 60 online seminars that
you can access 24/7 by visiting our Workshops
and classes page. This page also lists any live workshops and/or
classes that will be presented during the current quarter.
Stat books for loan
- When and where: Books may be borrowed and returned
visiting Statistical Consulting in Math Sciences 4919 during walk-in
consulting hours. For a list of books available and
our lending policy, please see our Stat Books
for Loan page.
- How long: Books are due two weeks from the time you borrow
them, and you may have a total of two books on loan at any given time.
Although you can have a book for two weeks, we kindly request that you return the book early if you are finished with it early,
as this helps to
keep books in stock for other researchers.
- Renewals: Books cannot be renewed.
- Policy on late returns: It is important to return your book on
time, and if you do not return your book on time it will be counted as
late. If you have three late returns, you will no longer be permitted to
- Returning books: Please return books during regular consulting
hours. If you cannot stop by during regular consulting hours, you may
return your book(s) to the IDRE main office, MS 5308 (on the fifth floor).
This office is open Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Please do NOT:
- leave books on the floor outside of the consulting office.
- mail books back to us, as they tend to get lost in the mail. If
you know that you will be going out of town, it is your responsibility
to return your book(s) before you leave.
- Where to buy the books: Once you have borrowed a book, you may
find that it is a book that you would like to purchase for yourself. See
Where to buy
books for tips on different places you can buy these books.
- Want to look inside some of these (or other) books: Many of these books are available at
http://books.google.com/ which permits
you to peek inside the books to view a limited number of pages. You
can visit http://books.google.com or
use the search box below to search for books.
List of statistical consultants and tutors for hire
- We maintain a list of statistical consultants and tutors for hire.
You can email us at
to request that list.
- Please visit our services FAQ page for
more information and examples of the services that we offer.