Installing SAS for Windows
SAS 9.2 Installation Guidelines
SAS 9.2 takes about 2.6 gigabytes disk space including the entire documentation. It runs on both Windows XP and Vista machines, professional edition. For details on system
requirements for SAS 9.2, please visit the documentation prepared by SAS on System
Requirements for SAS 9.2 Foundation for Microsoft Windows. Currently (as of October 20, 2008), you will be provided an installation DVD by Software Central.
Although the installation process of SAS 9.2 takes quite fewer steps than SAS 9.1.3, we still recommend that you read the installation instruction before hand.
The instruction guidelines below works for both Windows XP and Windows Vista.
Step 0. Check your computer system
- In general, SAS 9.2 WILL NOT run on either Windows XP Home edition or Windows Vista Home Edition.
- Make sure that your Microsoft Windows is up-to-date, for example, make
sure that at least Windows XP Service Pack 2 is installed. You can find out if
Service Pack 2 is installed on your machine by clicking on "Control Panel ->
System" and you will see the following:
If your system is not up to date, you should update the system first
before installing SAS. Visit the
Microsoft Windows website for more details.
- If you have recently updated your machine and you haven't restarted your machine, restart your machine before installing SAS.
- We recommend that you close all the applications, in particular, make sure that the
virus scan program is closed. Usually, there are a few Windows programs
running in the background, such as the virus scan program and such. You can
see what programs are running from the lower right corner of the
screen such as this one:
. Most of the
time, you can then right click on them to close the programs. Be sure to
turn the virus scan program back on after the installation.
Step 1. Copy the SID file to your local machine
Before starting your install, determine where your
SID file is. It may come with the installation DVD. You should copy it to your
computer, say, to the Desktop. If you have received it from an email, we
assume you have saved the attachment to the Desktop as sid.txt.
Step 2. Setting for the Installation
- Put in the installation DVD. If it does not
start automatically, you can double click on the DVD icon to start it up. It takes at least about 10 seconds or more for SAS Deployment Wizard to fire up.
- Choose the language for running SAS (see window below)
Step 3. The Installation process begins: click on Start...
- Stage 1 requires your attention if you notice the icon or the message. It will check your system for minimum requirement. If your system does not
meet the minimum requirement, this step will install any necessary components.
- Once Stage 2 starts, it may take about 20-30 minutes for the installation process to finish.
- Click on Finish and you should have SAS 9.2 installed on your computer.
The content of this web site should not be construed as an endorsement
of any particular web site, book, or software product by the
University of California.